The Life and Death of an Unknown Celebrity

The Life and Death of an Unknown Celebrity - Darren Cockle By reading this book, you will be taken to a trip through lots of feelings and emotions. You will laugh, you will cry, you will get angry, you will desperate... but you will love this book. I am sure of that. For me it was also quite a moving read since I have also lost a beloved person because of cancer. The first time I heard about this book, I knew that I was going to read it, and deep inside I knew that I would love it and it would help me to view things differently too.

Darren Cockle masterfully crafts a story of love and grief like no other. It is a completely honest and heart-felt account of his life since he knew that his wife was suffering from breast cancer. We follow their story since they get the diagnosis, they go through treatment (breast removal and chemotherapy), and finally they have to endure Sarah's death. Life changes dramatically, both for Darren and his two children. Life as a single dad can be very difficult. Life as a grieving single dad is even more difficult. We see him getting desperate, getting angry, making new friends, losing friends, messing up with his own life, and finally finding love again and reconciling himself with the idea of letting go Sarah.

It is wonderfully crafted, using a very easy language and a style that makes you feel comfortable while reading, if that makes any sense. It is intimate. It is as if a friend is talking to you over a cup of tea or coffee. The hints of humour lightens the mood of the book, so it becomes a positive story about how to recover after losing someone who you have loved so dearly. I loved the book because it is real. You can feel it. And it is very brave too. I don't think the author feels proud of some of the things he tells in the book, but still those things are told to make sense. The story as a whole makes more sense by the telling of everything just as it happened.

I strongly recommend this book. It is definitely a must-read.